Friday, February 18, 2011

Home Sweet Home

These are some of the sounds that routinely wake me up at night and in the wee hours of Saturday morning: cats in heat, babies crying, old men coughing up mucus, the 5 am call to prayer, metal banging on metal in the never-ending construction zone that is all of Dakar.

For those of you who were in the loop (i.e. my mother), my shower drain has now stopped spewing up sewage when I flush the toilet. However, my entire bathroom floor now floods when I take a shower.

Oh, and my internet is still barely functional.

You may be thinking, "Girl, you need to move!" If you were thinking that, you would be on to something. So what keeps me around? Location, location, location. Unlike 99.9% of the city, I live within the electricity grid of the presidential palace, so no power cuts! Thank you, national energy company, for being corrupt in a way that is beneficial to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment